Welcome to Romance

I am a contemporary romance writer. I published my first novel, Take 2, in Dec 2012. I chat about relationships and love. I'm no expert! I'd love your feedback!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Dating with Children

I know some of you are probably thinking, "Who doesn't have kids?" And you are right, just about everyone does.  The question I am purposing is, when your children are grown up, would you want to date someone with small children? Once you've become an empty-nester, are you ready to fill it back up?

Its a tough question. My daughter is grown and I have many friends with small children, or grandchildren they are taking car of. Once you've tasted the freedom that the empty nest brings, are you willing to let that go for the love of a wonderful partner?

I know some of you are automatically saying, "NO WAY! I have raised my kids and I want some time for me...adult time." Then there are others that love having kids around and are saying, "Sure, let's do it!" And there are others that are thinking, "If I really love him/her I can do this again". So my question is, "Can you really?"

I have a friend who found the perfect guy for her but he came with two elementary-aged children. Hers are grown. She took the plunge. Has it been hard? You bet. Are the kids having a hard time with the adjustment? Sure. Does she regret it? I don't know. I wouldn't ask. That's something she has to deal with and, if she loves her man, figure out if he's worth it.

I know others that have forgone the partner due to the inclusion of children. Some folks just don't want to help raise more children after theirs are grown. I think that stems from having challenging children; the more difficult they were, the more fear of having to do it again. Not to say every one's children are the same, they obviously aren't. But if your kids were a handful, you might fear having that stress again.

So, back to my question...to date someone with kids or not? Does love conquer all obstacles? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Linda. Nice post. Sure, love conquers all obstacles. It doesn't matter as long as the love is there.

    New follower from ‘Goodreads Simply Sensational Coffee…’ Follow back?
    Kaykay @ The Creative Forum
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete